German University Qualification with the IB Diploma: Our Success at ISR
We have an outstanding track record qualifying our ISR students for studies at universities in Germany. In the past three years 100% of our students who wished to qualify for German university by meeting special German IB requirements and passing the IB Diploma received their “Allgemeine Hochschulreife”.
To qualify for study at German university with the IB Diploma, the KMK has defined the following criteria:
- IB Diploma mandatory
- 4+ required on each of the 6 IB exams (= min. 24 points) + passed TOK/EE/CAS
- Two languages, either:
- two languages A (high level or standard level) or
- one langauge A (high level or standard level) and one language B (high level)
- One math or science must be high level.
- All IB final exams in 2nd year of IB Diploma Programme
- No changes in course selections during the 2 year programme
- Literature A self-taught not accepted
- Language ab initio not accepted out of group 1 or 2
- Math Studies is not recognised in Germany
- The study of German for German citizens is not required
We are experts in successfully counseling students in this area as you may read in our university acceptance list on our web site. Students who wish to meet these requirements do need to be academically strong in mathematics and/or science as well as in their first and second languages.
Although our school is non-selective, our students consistently score higher in the mathematics and science courses than the IB world averages in these subjects. In mathematics 13% of students worldwide take the high level mathematics course; at ISR close to 30% of our students have enrolled in and are achieving top scores in the high level mathematics course.
Obtaining the “Allgemeine Hochschulreife” is a simple procedure for our IB students:
- In early July, the IB Organization sends our students’ IB results directly to the “Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle” in Düsseldorf where the IB scores are converted to the German Abitur score, provided the student has qualified by passing his or her IB exams.
- Our students receive the “Allgemeine Hochschulreife” qualification from the Certificate Recognition Office approximately two to three days after the official IB results are released in early-July. Afterwards, they send in or deliver this documentation to the German universities to which they have already sent in their application.
- Our students then receive confirmation of their acceptance at German universities during the summer according to the same procedures all students applying to German universities follow.
We advise our students every step of the way on this straightforward conversion of IB results into German university entrance qualifications.